this Queso recipe is the most delicious white cheese dip you will ever taste. If you’re looking for an easy queso dip recipe, you’ve come to the right place. No velveeta here, just real quality cheese and ingredients melted together and ready to dip. Learn how to make queso from scratch, just like what you get at your favorite Mexican restaurant.
I’ve been on the hunt for the perfect white cheese dip recipe for years and years, and this one has finally completed me. If you haven’t made homemade queso blanco before, then today is the day.
I’ve made dips of all kinds, from Chicken Enchilada Dip to Vegan Queso. I love them all and each one has their place, but this recipe is my go-to. This makes the perfect appetizer for any meal.As a rule, I almost always make Homemade Tortilla Chips for dipping. It’s worth the extra time it takes to make them (but it doesn’t take that much extra time), and bonus: they’re baked and not fried.
This Queso Recipe is the most delicious white cheese dip you will ever taste. Just like at your favorite Mexican restaurant, but made easy at home.
- 12 ounces evaporated milk (1 can)
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 3/4 lb white american cheese buy it sliced at the deli counter at your grocery store. Then chop into small squares, finely chopped
- 4 ounces mozzarella cheese shredded
- 2 tablespoons canned jalapenos chopped, or chopped green chiles
- 1 teaspoon chili powder you could also use cumin if you prefer that taste
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg optional. some readers haven’t liked this spice although some did.
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- chopped cilantro tomatoes, and jalapenos for garnish.
- Heat evaporated milk over medium/high heat in a small saucepan. Stir in the cornstarch and whisk to combine.
- Once simmering (bring to JUST before boil…when it starts bubbling up the sides it’s ready), reduce heat to low immediately.
- Immediately stir in the cheese in batches, starting with the white american cheese. As you stir in the cheese, increase heat to medium/low and whisk CONSTANTLY while the cheese melts. Once each batch is melted/creamy, add more. Don’t stop stirring, you have to whisk the entire time while adding cheese.
- Once done with the white American, add in the shredded fontina or mozzarella. Again, whisk CONSTANTLY while the cheese melts, insuring you have a creamy blend. If you prefer the cheese a bit thicker, add a bit more of the mozzarella.
- Once all the cheese is melted, stir in the jalapenos, chili powder, nutmeg, red pepper, and salt and pepper.
- If you want the queso to be browned like in my pictures, pour the queso into a small nonstick skillet and place in the oven. Broil for 3-4 minutes or until cheese begins to bubble and brown (optional)
- Top with cilantro, tomatoes, and more jalapenos if desired.
- Serve with tortilla chips and enjoy.