This bold, saucy cilantro lime chicken takes on a delicious Mediterranean twist. Chicken thighs rubbed in warm spices and cooked to tender perfection in a garlic, lime and cilantro sauce. Word to the wise, make every use of the tasty sauce.
Of the many chicken recipes I’ve shared with you here, this cilantro lime chicken recipe is one that is regularly requested by my family. They love this saucy, fall-apart tender chicken.Fresh cilantro and lime juice are the perfect duo that many associate them with Mexican cuisine. But they are also gloriously used in Mediterranean cooking–often combined with garlic and a host of warm spices (wait till you taste these chicken thighs.
If you’re a fan of these flavors, you’ll want to also check out this grilled shrimp recipe with roasted garlic cilantro, and my spicy cilantro pesto–I’ve been adding this pesto on my soups and labneh cheese a lot lately.
All-star cilantro lime chicken recipe! Chicken thighs, prepared Mediterranean-style with a special spice mixture and cooked to tender perfection in a tasty garlic, lime and cilantro sauce. You can cook this in the oven (my preference) or in the slow cooker.
- 8 chicken thighs bone in, skin on
- Private Reserve Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 6 garlic cloves roughly chopped
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 2 limes juice of
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 bunch cilantro stems removed, chopped; more for garnish
- 1 to 1 ½ tsp seasoned salt like this one
- 1 tsp sweet Spanish paprika or hot paprika, if you like
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 tbsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp ground nutmeg
- Preheat your oven to 375 degrees F.
- In a small bowl, mix the spices. Pat the chicken thighs dry, and season each thigh on both sides with the spice mix. Be sure to season underneath the skin as well. Let the chicken thighs sit in room temperature for about 15 minutes.
- Brown the chicken. When ready, heat 1-2 tablespoons of olive oil in a cast iron skillet (with a lid). Brown the chicken thighs deeply on both sides in the heated oil. Remove from skillet and set aside briefly. Brown the chicken thighs deeply on both sides in the heated oil. Remove from skillet and set aside briefly.
- Lower the heat and deglaze the skillet with the white wine. Let cook to reduce and then add the broth. Bring the liquid to a simmer then add the lime juice and garlic.
- Now. return the chicken to the skillet and toss in the cilantro. Bring to a high-simmer for about 5 minutes or so.
- Cover the skillet with the lid and transfer to the heated oven for 45 minutes or until the chicken is fully cooked through.
- Remove from the oven and let sit for 5 minutes before serving. Garnish with more cilantro, if you like.