This Vegetarian Lentil Tortilla Soup is my all-time FAVORITE! It can be made in an Instant Pot pressure cooker, slow cooker, or on the stove, for an easy and crazy tasty soup everyone will love.
Cue the jazz hands, people! Today we’re making a luscious, flavor-packed, rock-your-face-off vegetarian tortilla soup.After much deliberation (ok like 5 seconds) I decided the marriage of my Slow Cooker Chicken Tortilla Soup and Lentil Veggie Chili would make the most delightful union.Obviously I was right (otherwise we would be talking about kale chips or spinach salads today) and I’m so stupid excited to share this one with y’all today.
You should totally plan on snagging a bowl to take to work/school the next day and another to pair with a cheesy quesadilla for dinner. You can even stash a bowl or two in the freezer for heat and eat “fast food” without the fuss OR the sketchy ingredients.
This uber easy and crazy flavorful Vegetarian Lentil Tortilla Soup can be made in a pressure cooker, slow cooker, or on the stove, making it one of our favorite make-ahead soup recipes
- 1 cup diced onion
- 1 tsp avocado oil (or olive oil)
- 1 bell pepper diced
- 1 jalapeno pepper diced
- 2.5 cups vegetable broth (or chicken broth if needed)
- 15 oz canned tomato sauce or crushed tomatoes
- 1/2 cup mild or medium salsa verde (or your favorite salsa!)
- 1 TBSP tomato paste
- 15 oz can black beans (drained + rinsed)
- 15 oz can pinto beans (drained + rinsed)
- 1 cup corn (fresh, canned, or frozen)
- 3/4 cup dried red lentils
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/4-1/2 cup heavy cream* (optional – see notes)
- salt and pepper to taste
PILE ON THE TOPPINGS
- crushed tortilla chips (my favorite!)
- shredded cheddar or mex-blend cheese
- sliced or diced jalapeños
- chopped red onion
- pico de gallo
- sliced avocado
- fresh cilantro
- sour cream or greek yogurt.
- Below are the electric pressure cooker and slow cooker instructions, see blog post below for directions to make this bad boy on the stove.
- First, chop your veggies and measure out the ingredients.
- Next add everything but the heavy cream your toppings.
- This includes bell pepper, jalapeño, corn, lentils, black beans, pinto beans, broth, tomato sauce, tomato paste, salsa verde, and all your herbs + spices. Toss them in and set IP to high pressure for 15 minutes. Walk away; FREEDOM!
- Allow natural pressure release.
- Stir in the cream, add all your favorite toppings, and enjoy
SLOW COOKER INSTRUCTIONS:
- First chop your veggies and measure out the ingredients. This will make everything super easy to toss together!
- Next add everything except the heavy cream and toppings.
- Cook on high for 4-6 hours or low for 7-8 hours, until dried lentils are cooked through and veggies are tender. My soup was perfect after 5 hours on high.
- Swirl in the cream, add all your favorite toppings, and dive in