Instant Pot Meatball Sub Soup—all the flavors from the sandwich in soup form. Made fast and easy in your Instant Pot (or slow cooker).
I love meatball sub sandwiches but I am always thinking to myself, “these are so messy to eat!” That’s where Instant Pot meatball sub soup comes into the picture. It’s easier to eat, not as messy. Plus in the winter time it warms you right up. It’s a cheesy, tomato-y, meaty soup that we all ate greedily.
For this meatball soup I chose the convenient route of using frozen Italian meatballs. Shortcuts in cooking are my jam these days! I bought a bag from Smiths I also like the Costco brand. If you’d like you can also make homemade meatballs and use them in the place of frozen meatballs. They can be cooked or uncooked.If you’re missing the bread part of the sandwich you can dip in a piece or two of toasted garlic bread. If you want to go the super easy route then pick up a package of frozen garlic Texas toast and bake in the oven while the soup is cooking in the Instant Pot. Another fun choice would be to serve the soup in a hollowed out bread bowl.
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 cup diced onion
- 1 Tbsp minced garlic
- 3 cups beef broth
- 1 ¼ pounds frozen Italian meatballs
- 1 (28 oz) can crushed tomatoes
- 2 Tbsp tomato paste
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- ½ cup shredded parmesan cheese (plus more for topping)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Baguette slices, garlic bread or breadsticks for serving.
Instant Pot Recipe:
- Turn Instant Pot to sauté setting. When display says HOT add in the oil and the onion. Sauté onion for 4-5 minutes. Then add in garlic and sauté for 30 seconds.
- Pour in the beef broth and scrape the bottom of the pot so that nothing is sticking. Turn off Instant Pot.
- Add in the meatballs. Pour the crushed tomatoes and tomato paste on top of meatballs. Sprinkle in the oregano.
- Cover Instant Pot and secure the lid. Make sure valve is set to sealing. Set the SOUP (or manual/pressure cook) button to 5 minutes. When time is up let pot sit for 5 minutes and then move the valve to venting. Remove the lid.
- Add a bit of the hot soup to the milk to temper it and then pour the milk into the pot.
- Turn off Instant Pot and move the inner liner to the countertop. Then add in the cheeses. This will prevent the cheese from sticking to the bottom of the pot.
- Salt and pepper to taste. Ladle into bowls and top with additional parmesan cheese. Serve soup with buttered, toasted baguette slices, garlic bread or breadsticks.
Slow Cooker Recipe:
- Heat pan over medium high heat and add in the oil and the onion. Sauté onion for 4-5 minutes. Then add in garlic and sauté for 30 seconds. Transfer contents to the slow cooker.
- Pour in the beef broth, meatballs, crushed tomatoes, tomato paste and oregano.
- Cover and cook on low for 4-6 hours.
- Add a bit of the hot soup to the milk to temper it and then pour the milk into the slow cooker.
- Stir in the cheeses. Salt and pepper to taste. Ladle into bowls and top with additional parmesan cheese. Serve soup with buttered, toasted baguette slices, garlic bread or breadsticks.