These BBQ chicken bowls are loaded with so much goodness: shredded BBQ chicken, seasoned cubed sweet potatoes roasted until crisp, a simple coleslaw, and quick homemade dill pickles. They’re healthy and filling and surprisingly quick and easy. Whole30 and paleo, too.
These paleo and Whole30 BBQ bowls are incredibly flavorful with seasoned sweet potatoes, cool and crunchy coleslaw, and tangy dill pickles. So filling and healthy and an amazing flavor combo!The homemade dill pickles are surprisingly simple, fast, and absolutely elevate this bowl to the next level!
These BBQ chicken bowls with sweet potatoes and coleslaw are super easy to make thanks to an Instant Pot or slow cooker, but can easily be made without either one.
A healthy and filling bowl of BBQ chicken, sweet potatoes, coleslaw, and homemade dill pickles. Surprisingly simple and quick to make but packed full of flavor. Whole30 and paleo.
- Instant Pot
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts about 1 1/4 pounds
- 3/4 cup Whole30 BBQ sauce
- 2 tablespoons Italian dressing See Note
- salt to taste
- or about 2 1/2 cups shredded BBQ chicken or pork
- 2 sweet potatoes peeled and cubed
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- dash of cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon avocado or refined coconut oil
Quick Dill Pickles:
- Sprig of fresh dill
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1/4 English cucumber sliced thin
- Pinch yellow mustard seeds
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup white or white wine vinegar
- 1/2 tablespoon salt
- OR 1/4 cup sliced cold dill pickles See Note
- 1/2 cup + 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1 1/2 tablespoon white apple cider, or white wine vinegar
- 3 tablespoons coconut aminos
- 1/4 tsp kosher salt
- 1 14- oz bag shredded coleslaw mix See Note
- Fresh chopped parsley
- Dry BBQ seasoning
Wine Pairings (NOT for Whole30!) – See Notes
- 2018 The Resident Zinfandel
- 2017 Solar Del Alma Malbec
- Epic Pursuit Rosé Wine Spritzer
- Preheat oven to 425º F. Make sweet potatoes: On a baking sheet, toss all ingredients and roast for 20 m. After 20 minutes, stir well, then return to oven. Bake another 10-15 minutes or until browning on edges but not too crunchy or crisp.
- Make the pickles: While sweet potatoes roast, combine all pickle ingredients in a small bowl. Set aside.
- Make BBQ chicken: Next, combine all ingredients in an Instant Pot. Seal and cook at High Pressure for 10 minutes. Quick release when time is up then shred chicken breasts with two forks or use a hand mixer on low speed. Turn on Sauté mode and heat for 5 minutes until chicken is coated in sauce. If you do not have an Instant Pot, see Note for regular shredded chicken or slow cooker directions.
- Make coleslaw: Mix all ingredients besides coleslaw mix in a small bowl. Place coleslaw mix in a medium bowl and pour dressing over. Combine well, using hands if desired.
- Assemble bowls: Divide sweet potatoes, BBQ chicken, and coleslaw evenly among 4 bowls. Top with a couple pickle slices. Garnish with fresh chopped parsley if desired.