Kale and quinoa salad, made even better by warming it up! Cooked quinoa is tossed with kale, carrots, and bell peppers in a hot skillet to make this warm kale and quinoa salad! Drizzle it all with homemade lemon tahini dressing that will absolutely blow you away!
If you want to know the best way to make salads more accessible during the colder months, just warm up some kale and quinoa into a warm kale salad!.I’m not a huge salad lover, but who are you going to trust to serve you a salad – someone who loves salads or someone who would rather take the soup option? This might just be my favorite salad ever and here’s why.
Warming all these cruciferous veggies makes them just tender enough to chew without being exhausting. The quinoa offers tons of protein, and that lemon tahini dressing?
That dressing completely makes this salad. It’s so savory and tangy, getting into every nook and cranny and keeping things warm and cozy.I’m seriously considering making this vegan quinoa salad for Thanksgiving which is kind of crazy because I usually have a staunch no salad on Thanksgiving policy. It just embodies the season right now and makes me feel amazing!
A warm salad made with kale, quinoa, carrots, radish, and seeds, then drizzled with a delicious lemon tahini dressing.
Kale and Quinoa Salad
- 1 bunch kale, ribs removed, chopped⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
- Coarse kosher salt⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
- 1 teaspoon olive oil⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
- 2 cup cooked quinoa⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
- 3 carrots, julienned⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
- 1 red bell pepper, julienned⠀
- ¼ cup sunflower seeds
- ¼ cup pepitas
- 4 radish, julienned⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
- ½ cup fresh cilantro, chopped⠀
- 1 avocado, sliced (optional).
Lemon Tahini Dressing
- ⅓ cup olive oil⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
- ⅓ cup lemon juice⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
- 2 tablespoons tahini⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
- 2 teaspoons maple syrup
- 1 clove garlic, pressed⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
- ¼ teaspoon coarse kosher salt⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
- ¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes.
Make the dressing
- In a small bowl or jar, whisk together dressing ingredients until smooth. Taste and adjust seasonings.
Make the salad
- Sprinkle kale with salt and drizzle with 1 teaspoon olive oil. Using your hands, massage until dark.⠀
- Heat 1 teaspoon olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the kale, quinoa, carrot, red bell pepper, and sunflower seeds. Cook, stirring frequently, for 5 minutes until the kale is slightly wilted. Remove from the heat and add the pepitas, radishes, and cilantro. Stir to combine.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
- Toss salad with half the dressing and serve drizzled with additional dressing, sliced avocado, a sprinkling of freshly cracked black pepper, and crushed red pepper flakes if desired.
Tips for customizing your kale quinoa salad
- Meat eaters can top with cooked shrimp, chicken, or salmon
- Add a handful of crumbled feta cheese
- Top with roasted chickpeas for additional vegan protein
- After cooking, top with thinly sliced apples
- Sprinkle with hemp hearts for even more plant based protein